Courses Master Display 2020-2021
|Course Description||To PDF|
|Course title||Governance and Institutions in Emerging Markets|
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Language of instruction||English|
* Define key concepts and approaches drawn from the literature on governance and institutions applicable to the study of emerging markets;
* Classify and summarize key empirical dimensions of the analysis of governance and institutions suitable to comprehend better emerging markets;
* Apply an analytical framework to analyse governance and institutional structure in a real-life case study of an emerging market;
* Constructively judge the applicability and suitability of applied concepts to the analysis of real-life case study of an emerging market;
* Design a plan of action to explore opportunities and overcome obstacles created by the governance and institutional features of a given real-life case;
* Critically assess and present a case for modification of the governance and institutional theories and concepts to enhance their suitability for the understanding of emerging market governance and institutional conditions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT METHOD(S) USED IN THIS COURSE IS WITH RESERVATION. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS BASED ON THE COURSE SETUP PRIOR TO THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS. AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE CRISIS, COURSE COORDINATORS MAY BE FORCED TO CHANGE THE TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT METHODS USED. THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION ABOUT THE TEACHING/ASSESSMENT METHOD(S) WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE COURSE SYLLABUS. This course serves to introduce basic perspectives on two fundamental concepts defining the features of states in emerging markets. Governance and institutions influence the policies aimed at improving the quality of human life in contemporary societies across the globe. Governance and institutions and socio-economic development are interdependent. Economic policies are shaped by multiple political factors in contemporary governance systems, and the political choices of policies affect different socio-economic areas. Therefore, it is of crucial importance to understand how different policy areas are governed and what factors shape the economic development and the evolution of specific sectors and public policies. This course introduces some fundamental concepts and theories of governance and institutions shaping emerging markets countries. We will focus on assessing the quality of governance and institutions and how to understand their role in contemporary societies. More specifically, we will introduce different approaches and tools to critically engage and understand the complex role of governance and institutions.
Assessment methods: participation, presentation, research paper, written exam
Collection of academic articles and book chapters.
|Teaching methods||PBL / Presentation / Lecture / Groupwork|
|Assessment methods||Written Exam|
|Evaluation in previous academic year||For the complete evaluation of this course please click "here"|
|This course belongs to the following programmes / specialisations||