Courses Master Display 2023-2024
|Inequality, Fairness and Policy Goals
Kristof Bosmans, Michail Moatsos
For more information: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
|Language of instruction
1. Understand and be able to apply the theory of inequality, welfare and poverty measurement, both in the simple setting of income and wealth, and in complex settings of multidimensional inequality and equality of opportunity
2. Understand key empirical results on spatial and temporal comparisons of inequality, welfare and poverty in both the simple and complex settings
3. Understand the normative underpinnings of the above theories and of policy goals regarding distribution and redistribution
4. Understand key empirical results on people's normative preferences regarding distribution and redistribution
5. Be able to communicate and critically reflect on the above
6. Be able to work in diverse groups, both as an individual and as a team
The general idea of this course is to generate a basic understanding of inequality and resulting policy goals. In the first part, the course focuses on understanding the definition and measurement of different concepts of income and wealth inequality. It will discuss the basic properties of inequality measures, and how different measures can yield different conclusions. It studies historical and contemporaneous challenges that are associated with income and wealth inequality. In the second part of the course, we will reflect on evaluating and judging inequality using alternative normative concepts such as well-being and happiness and discuss potential policy goals with respect to inequality.
To be announced.
Knowledge and understanding of microeconomics, macroeconomics and empirical research methods (all at the intermediate level).
|Teaching methods (indicative; course manual is definitive)
|PBL / Presentation / Lecture / Assignment / Papers / Groupwork / Research / Skills
|Assessment methods (indicative; course manual is definitive)
|Attendance / Participation / Written Exam / Oral Exam / Assignment / Presentation / Take home exam
|Evaluation in previous academic year
|For the complete evaluation of this course please click "here"
|This course belongs to the following programmes / specialisations